Romance is in the air! Or, maybe it isn’t and you have a little work to do in that department. Happens to the best of us, but a piece of advice? Don’t wait until Valentine’s Day to show the important person in your life (it could be you!) the love. As Shawn and Andrew always say, they can love their family best when they love each other well. 🥰
Of all the questions we get from our FamilyMade community, date night ideas are a top request! So let’s cover it all—dating from home, hitting the town, staying hot in the winter, and even dating yourself. 💘
Our answer: Let’s start with this—no matter what your situation (coupled, single, married, dating) there is always something fun to do. Some ideas?
The at-home date. This is something me and the Mr. worked hard to include in our newborn/pandemic lifestyle. Now we prioritize at least one home-based date per month. We love this easy chance to connect even when life feels hectic. A few tried and true ideas:
- Movie night. There must be snacks. Snuggling encouraged. Trade off who picks the movie.
- Living room club sesh. Turn down the lights, turn up the music (use headphones à la silent disco if you’re worried about waking kids!), and grab your partner and dance. It feels a little silly in the beginning but I promise you’ll feel more connected after a song or two. A cocktail doesn’t hurt, either.
- Get intimate. Trade massages, spa treatments, or take a bubble bath together 👀. Pro tip: Lock that door!
- Learn something new. Read about a historical event, play a game, listen to a new album together—anything that strikes a conversation that’ll help you get to know both your partner and yourself a little better.
The hit-the-town date. A change of scenery can be a welcome setting for a good time—and it doesn’t have to be expensive or fancy!
- Watch the sunset/sunrise together. We encourage coffee for one, ice cream for the other.
- Get cultured. Check your local listings for live music, poetry readings, featured museum collections, sporting events, stage productions, or orchestral performances.
- Grab a day date. There is something so special about sneaking out during your lunch break for a romantic rendezvous, even just for a sandwich or a walk outside.
- Make something together. Book a cooking, painting, or wine tasting class. Check with your town or school district for reasonably-priced recreational or how-to classes.
The winter date. It’s still cold. A couple ways to heat things up?
- Lean in. If your climate supports it, find skiing, snow tubing, sledding, or ice skating options near you! No snow to speak of? Grab your old rollerblades or your bike and take a brisk ride together. Highly recommend a hot chocolate/hot cider/hot toddy to follow.
- Blanket down. Ever built an adult blanket fort? It’s as fun as your kids claim it to be. Gather the comfiest items in your house—pillows, air mattresses, blankets, bear-skinned rugs, whatever you have—and build a snuggly spot to listen to music, watch a new Netflix show, or just talk.
- Dream forward. Make summer plans. Think about a beach trip. List out everything you can accomplish to spruce up your home before the nice weather returns. Embrace winter life and make way for brighter days ahead.
Still looking for some winter date ideas? Winter expert Ree Drummond (yes, the Pioneer Woman) has you covered.
Our answer: The good news? Honeymoons can happen any time! It’s all about creating special moments for you and your partner.
It sounds like you have little ones at home. We know how tricky it can be to 1) get away and 2) stay present with your partner when you have baby on the brain. But our advice? Do it anyway.
Whether you can swing a long weekend or just one night away, take that chance to enjoy your well-deserved break. Book an overnight somewhere near your home—the next town over, a hotel near the airport, or a cute AirBnb with a view.
But you don’t have to leave town to make it special. Save up for a really incredible meal with a hot local chef or invest in an experience you’ve always wanted to have with your spouse. Skydiving? Couples massage? 24 hours of sleep? There are no wrong answers. Define what’s special to you and go for it.
Submit a question to be featured in a future Q&A here.
AG1 is so much more than 'greens’
Ready to dump all those pills and packets and upgrade your daily routine in 2023? Look no further than AG1 by Athletic Greens.
Why we love AG1:
- It’s full of 75 vitamins, minerals, and high-quality whole food-sourced ingredients
- Make it anywhere and take it on the go by mixing one scoop with cold water
- Supports your energy levels and gut health
Reclaim your health with AG1 today and enjoy a free welcome kit, a year’s supply of Vitamin D, 5 free travel packs, a flexible delivery schedule, and even a 90-day money-back guarantee. Check it out here.
I know the ladies can relate to this one. Shawn hits the nail on the head—how come no one else can ever find anything?
We aren't meant to mother alone. Join the Oath community to connect with fellow moms, find judgement-free support & get personalized expert advice. It’s free!*
I <3 makeup videos. Watching people apply their makeup while telling a story at the same time is my favorite zone-out activity. Rachel Rigler is one of the best in the game.
Don’t forget! We’re featuring ALL things good news in an upcoming newsletter. If you have a high vibe story to share—small or large—send it in and you may be featured!
*This is sponsored advertising content.
Love the one you’re with. Any of these date ideas can be tweaked for your situation. Date your friend. Date your partner. Date yourself! Spread the love, and we’ll see you next week.